UTVBlog - Your Source for UTV and Side By Side News!

A Tough 1st Weekend for the Lonestar Racing SR1 Offroad Race Team

Just two days before race day and Ryan and Greg were still fanatically trying to finish up the SR1 car Friday morning. The car still needed an engine cover, rear side panels, numbers, graphics, communications, cameras, fire extinguisher, and nerf bars. After being up until 1 in the morning the previous night getting the graphics installed on the Rig, Ryan and Greg started early. The car remained at the LSR garage, while they completed everything they could. Once they got everything pretty much ready, they headed to SDHQ for the final sheet metal engine cover about 10am the next day. Knowing there was a drivers meeting at 1:30pm, and qualifying at 3pm, they made a mad dash to get to the track. They finally made it on the road to the track at 2pm and rolled in shortly after 3pm, and luckily the schedule was a little behind. They were able to get the car through tech before they closed, and they were given the transponder they needed to record lap times and be scored. But the LSR team found out the transponder’s batteries were dead, and with no time to charge them, they headed out for qualifying anyways.

It was the 1st time the car had been on the track with all of the other cars, and it was a great feeling for the team to have the car ready for competition after such a hectic few days. Since they didn’t have a charged transponder on the car, they had no lap times and as a result they were qualified in last position for Saturday’s main event.

Saturday morning was an 8 minute practice round, but this time they were prepared with a charged transponder and they recored the 3rd best lap times! Considering the LSR team had only less than an hour of seat time, this was a testament to what they could do. With the car running well and performing like they had hoped it would, it was as if it was just up to Greg to bring it into victory lane for the main event.

However, the main event proved to be a tough one. The track was extremely muddy from the extra water to help keep dust down and the conditions were less than stellar. Starting in last place because of the first qualification round without a transponder, the LSR team was coated with a blinding roost from the get go. Greg was able to move up a few positions, but was unable to get around the pack due to some limited experience and limited visibility from all the mud.

“It seemed like I couldn’t have had enough tear offs to keep my view at least halfway decent. Many times I felt like a blind man trying to drive.”

After it was all said and done, the LSR Team ended up with a 6th place finish. They were obviously disappointed with the result, but they did finish and now they know what the car is capable of winning. The 3rd place car was carrying an extra 180 lbs of mud by the end of the race, so you can imagine the muddy chaos!

More from the LSR Team about the race:

“I was looking forward to Sunday’s race, being able to get a better start position and be able to fight for the lead. In the 3rd lap during practice, I hit the whoop section with lots of speed, and the rear end of the car got kicked up a little high, and when it landed, both rear shock shafts broke, I heard all sorts of broken metal sounds, and slid to a stop off the side of the track. We got the car back into the pits to see what happened, and some how both shafts of the rear shocks broke in half, and that caused all sorts of damage to the rear axles and cv joints from being over extended. Thinking our day was over, we took the broken shocks to the Fox Race Support Trailer, and Joe said he could probably replace the shafts for us in time for the next race. So we started tracking down other parts like cv joints, boots, axles etc. Weller Racing had enough spares to get us back together, and with a mad dash, we had the car back running with about 2 minutes to spare before the final race started. During the parade lap, things felt good, and I was relieved to be out there. After the drop of the green flag, when I had the car flying through the air, I could hear some nasty sounds coming from the rear cv’s and axles, and the car was starting to handle funny, and feel unbalanced, so I pulled off the track for fear of having a broken axle or rear cv joint, and we were unable to continue.

So overall it was a tough weekend, and we gave it everything we had to bring home a victory for Lonestar and all of our sponsors. I would also like to thank all our friends and family who came out to support us and lend a helping hand to get the car back on the track for Sunday’s main event. With out them, it wouldn’t have even been possible.

We look forward to getting the car 100% finished for the next rounds at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in May!”

Checkout this video for some in car action from the race:

Similar posts plugin not found.
UTV Forums Network UTVBlog.net Sponsors
Latest Comments Latest Previews Latest Reviews The UTVBlog Archives